Hello, Hello! Three more refashions, coming right up! You can see the first two of this little “series” I created for myself. These aren’t for sale, but I may consider selling refashioned clothing at some point.
First up is what I would call a muted French blue linen shirt. It originally had shorter sleeves rolled up and secured with a button, and pockets on the top front. I took those pockets off and took out the sleeve hems. I also cut the collar off and sewed on a binding.
In the three images below, you can see close-up details of the changes I made. And if you look really closely, you can see lines under the purple French knots from where I removed the pockets!! I used the knots to try to distract from the lines. For the flared sleeves, I didn’t do anything to cover the hem fold lines…right now it’s all about experimenting and not perfecting. I did use part of a linen gingham tablecloth to make quarter-circle sleeves again – I love those things! And my favourite part of all was crocheting the purple pom-pom fringe to attach to the botton. I wore this while out on errands a couple of weeks ago and received compliments!
When I make things from thrifted fabrics, I just sort of put fabrics together until I like the mix of pattern and colour. I do know colour theory, but it’s more fun to just handle the fabrics. I like the way the colours I chose for this just all seemed to go together in the same tones. Funny story, though; I washed and dried the shirt…and the French knots were made of wool that I continuously stranded on the background…so you can probably guess what happened. Oh well, I rather like the quirky new look (no photo, though) of crinkled circles on the shirt front!
Next up, another green linen shirt makeover. Again, I cut off the colour and bound the edge in bias-cut fabric, which is stretchy and can go around curves easily. This shirt was really wide, so I experimented with adding darts to the bottom (I had cut off the very bottom of the shirt). I used a vintage sheet to cut out A-line pieces for a flared extension that fit the darted bottom. You might also notice I had to create a placket for buttonholes on the extension; I hadn’t made one since I was a teenager sewing things such as a beautiful floral-on-red background Gunne Sax jacket and a bright pink two-piece fitted dress! It was pretty easy to do.
As you can see below, I added my newest love to the sleeves (quarter-circle!). Then came my favourite part, decorating! I simply freestyle stitched three cutout flowers to the shirt. Next I added the button and tiny bead flower petals, and embroidered running and French knot stitches all over it.
You can see the green beaded flower petals here! I love embroidery and beads!!
Last, a wonderful bright pink linen shirt makeover! I wore the unmadeover version in California when we’d go out for dinner, and then refashioned it here at home recently. Voila!
Click on the following three for closeup views. Gingham linen tablecloth was used for these sleeves, too. And the best part, attaching cashmere flower petals with blanket stitching and French knots, and adding more beaded flowers.
Alrighty! I am so glad to have those done and have some unique tunics in my closet to wear over leggings and pants this fall! If you do projects like this, please share about them in the comments below!